Queensland's capabilities in land defence include:
- manufacture, modification, maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) and sustainment of heavy vehicles, recovery vehicles, trailers, equipment and special purpose modules
- drive train component rebuild and balancing
- painting and panel repairs
- sand blasting
- bulk liquid and fuel handling equipment manufacturing
- repair and certification and supply of armoured vehicles and structural armour
- development of covert and tactical body armour and other ballistic protection for soldier systems
- manufacture of technologically superior microwave modules and systems for next generation broadband communications at frequencies from L-band to Ka-band (1 to 40 gigahertz)
- development of multiband, multi-mode handheld tactical radios for portable line-of-sight and beyond-line-of-sight voice and data communications
- leading solutions for explosive ordnance disposal, counter improvised explosive devices and force protection
- composite component manufacture
- system integration
- development of combat training systems that can operate simultaneously in multiple simulation environments including live, virtual, constructive and gaming domains
- development of fibre-reinforced composites and metal-composite hybrid materials for lightweighting of structures and components.
Queensland's heavy vehicle capability
Queensland has significant capability in heavy vehicle manufacturing and supply chain delivery in both the commercial and defence sectors. A large proportion of this activity takes place in Brisbane around the Wacol and Richlands areas where there is a concentration of companies manufacturing trucks and trailers and distributing some of the world's leading heavy vehicle brands.
From a defence perspective, over the next 10 years, the Land 121 and Land 400 projects offer significant opportunities for local industry to participate in defence's biggest projects to support land-based transport and tactical fleet replacements and sustainment. Regionally significant defence projects underway in Asia may also provide opportunities for small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Queensland. Contact Defence Jobs Queensland at DJQ@dsdmip.qld.gov.au to find out more.
Last updated: 22 Oct 2021