Name: Capt Mike Becker
Position: Director, Chief Pilot and Chief Flight Instructor
What are your company's capabilities?
- Becker Helicopters Pilot Academy offers accredited, fully customisable helicopter flight training solutions for defence forces and para-military and commercial clients.
- We currently have 20 helicopters in fleet, 35 instructors, and 20 years' experience.
- We specialise in an innovative military-style training system, delivered as Initial Entry Rotary Wing courses.
- We make the best use of technology, military experience, and modern instructional design techniques to provide cost and time efficiencies for our clients.
- Our current rate-of-effort is in excess of 12,000 flight training hours per annum, with 2,000 of these Night Vision Goggle (NVG) specific.
How are these capabilities unique, and/or how do they benefit your customers?
- We are the only company in the southern hemisphere offering a military syllabus through a civil approved organisation, providing defence organisations an outsourced cost- and time-efficient option, free from bureaucratic constraints and in uncongested training areas.
- We offer a contracted service, specific to clients' needs. This is to an agreed standard, with specified training platform/s and syllabus content and within a fixed budget.
- Our competency-based accredited qualification system has a flexible structure and syllabus delivery, rather than a prescriptive 'number of hours in the air'.
- We offer a range of standardised helicopter types with glass cockpit technology and synthetic trainers.
- Our in-house engineering facility ensures that maintenance is coordinated with minimal disruption to flight programs.
- Our theory and flight instructors are all licensed helicopter pilots.
What accreditations does your company hold?
- Our CASA Australian Air Operators Certificate covers VFR, IFR, Multi-Engine and Night Vision Goggle (NVG) Training, and we are one of only a few Australian organisations CASA-approved to deliver NVG instructor training.
- We are a CASA approved certified maintenance and overhaul facility and have CASA approved Level B synthetic trainers.
- We are Registered Training Organisation (No. 5446) approved and are audited by ASQA, permitting us to offer internationally recognised qualifications – currently a Certificate IV in Aviation and Diploma in Aviation.
- We are approved on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS Provider Number 01742J), which enables us to enrol international students who qualify for an Australian student visa.
Has your company won any significant awards in the last five years?
- 2013 Telstra Australian Business Award – Medium Business of the Year
- 2010 The Premier of Queensland's Export Awards – Dermot McManus Award for Leadership and Innovation
- 2010 Sunshine Coast Excellence in Business Award – Lifestyle/Specialist Services
What are your company's plans for the next one to two years?
- Expanding the number of our remote training areas and securing them under long-term agreements. In 2013 the Department of State Development, Infrastructure and Planning was instrumental in helping us secure commercial activity agreements with the State Government to use state-managed sites for helicopter landings and training.
- Planned corporate strategy for industry growth and the development of additional infrastructure at various locations, including dedicated classrooms and training rooms, barracks-style accommodation, engineering and overhaul, a simulation centre and an Air Traffic Control (ATC) training centre.
- Website: www.beckerhelicopters.com
Location: Sunshine Coast Airport, Marcoola, Queensland
Phone: +61 7 5448 9888