The Queensland Government made a commitment to scrutinise the approvals process for the New Acland Mine Stage 3 project.
The review considered the EIS Evaluation Report of the Coordinator-General as a step in the ongoing approval process for the project. The EIS Evaluation Report itself is not an approval. The proponent will need to obtain a number of approvals before the project can proceed; including the Commonwealth Environment Minister's approval.
The scope of the review was set by the terms of reference.
The terms of reference provided that the review consider the documents or other material held by the Coordinator-General relating to the EIS Evaluation Report. Therefore, the reviewer undertook a 'desk top review' and did not take oral evidence, invite submissions or hold hearings. View the report ( 943 KB).
The Coordinator-General responded ( 1.06 MB) to the findings of the review with detailed information about his evaluation of the EIS.
Personal information has been removed from the review and response documents. The Queensland Government is committed to protecting privacy and does not disclose personal information unless the disclosure is authorised, required by law or is permitted under the Information Privacy Act 2009. In some cases, to protect the privacy of individuals, it has been necessary to exclude whole attachments.
- Administrative review of the EIS evaluation report ( 943 KB)
- Annexure A - terms of reference ( 63.5 KB)
- Annexure B - Index of documents provided by the CG's office ( 5.15 MB)
- Annexure C - CG correspondence confirming all documents provided ( 117 KB)
- Annexure D - correspondence clarifying documents ( 202 KB)
- Annexure E - Crown Law correspondence regarding submissions received after the AEIS ( 22.7 KB)
- Annexure F - CG correspondence dated 5 June 2015 ( 454 KB)
- Coordinator-General's response ( 1.06 MB)
- Attachment 1 - Relevant sections of briefing note dated 17 April 2014 ( 12.8 MB)
- Attachment 2 - Relevant sections of briefing note dated 27 August 2014 ( 13.8 MB)
- Attachment 3 - AEIS submissions analysis database has not been included to protect personal information
- Attachment 4a - Request seeking further information dated 23 September 2014 ( 27 MB)
- Attachment 4b - Request seeking further information dated 2 October 2014 ( 4.95 MB)
- Attachment 4c - Request seeking further information dated 8 October 2014 ( 7.33 MB)
- Attachment 4d - Request seeking further information dated 4 November 2014 ( 20.3 MB)
- Attachment 5 - Project information clarification to the AEIS dated December 2014 ( 23.4 MB)
- Attachment 6a - Summary of key issues in AEIS submissions ( 534 KB)
- Attachment 6B - AEIS submission analysis summary ( 135 KB)
- Attachment 7 - Coordinator-General's evaluation report ( 8.67 MB)
- Attachment 8 - Body of briefing note dated 19 December 2014 ( 5.74 MB)
- Attachment 9 - Project memorandum No. 3 ( 13.0 MB)
Social Benefit-Cost Analysis
The Department of Natural Resources and Mines separately commissioned, and has released a Rapid Social Benefit-Cost Analysis Report on the New Acland Coal Mine Stage 3.